Just so we are all on the same page, here are the cues (commands) that I am using with Abby for this exercise:
- The dumbbell
- Take it = put dumbbell in your mouth
- Sit = put your butt on the ground (in this context with dumbbell still in your mouth)
- Give = place the dumbbell in my hand
Finally, I placed the dumbell a few feet away (~ 2 ft) and asked for all three things:
- Take it
- Sit (with dumbbell)
- Give
But... can she do it a third time? I didn't have a chance to work with her tonight on it, I had to go shopping for her party that is on Sunday. We will continue practicing this weekend.
Once Abby is reliably doing the retrieve from a short distance, we can gradually increase the distance that she has to go to fetch the dumbell (upping the ante). My concern here is that she may not like carrying the dumbbell in her mouth for more than 24 inches.
Some dogs have difficulty transferring things they know to new situations. For example, you may have a dog that sits very well in the kitchen for its dinner, However, asking the same dog to sit when they are people at the door, or even sitting in a yard without any distractions is like teaching something brand new. With Abby, I have trouble getting her to "sit" when we are walking on the neighborhood sidewalks (another blog topic)
I would like Abby to be able to "take" any object I point out for her, so we will work in retrieving different objects like her rope toy, her new fuzzy kong toy, and maybe gloves. If we get back into doing traditional obedience with St. Hubert's, one of the utility exercises is a directed retrieve of one of 3 gloves. Chances of us getting that far in obedience are slim (right now due to the lack of any trials in the area), but it would be a fun party trick. However, I don't think we will have it ready for this birthday party. Maybe next year.


No comments:
Post a Comment